Pages

Friday, February 3, 2012

Sweet Potato Please!

I’m addicted to sweet potatoes.  I’m not sure if I just never noticed them much in Edwardsville, but it seems like they are everywhere around here.  Almost every place to eat has sweet potato fries or baked sweet potatoes on the menu. One of our favorite restaurants here, The Hideout has baked sweet potatoes and they are sooo yummy!!  I am addicted to their salmon with a lovely sweet potato on the side.  ; ) Mmmm mMM! 


 I’m even addicted to sweet potato tortilla chips, which I discovered at The Neighborhood Co-op. 


They are sooo good, especially with some yummy organic salsa to go with them!! Yummo!


Here is one of my favorite sweet potato recipes if you are interested...


Maple-Roasted Sweet Potatoes


INGREDIENTS

  • 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces (about 8 cups)
  • 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Freshly ground pepper, to taste


PREPARATION

  1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
  2. Arrange sweet potatoes in an even layer in a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish. Combine maple syrup, butter, lemon juice, salt and pepper in small bowl. Pour the mixture over the sweet potatoes; toss to coat.
  3. Cover and bake the sweet potatoes for 15 minutes. Uncover, stir and cook, stirring every 15 minutes, until tender and starting to brown, 45 to 50 minutes more.


I’ll add a picture the next time I make them. 


I almost forgot to add that Crackerbarrel now has Sweet Potato Pancakes! They are AMAZING!! Oh my gosh, don’t knock it, till you try it. 

Plus these lovely little orange cuties come with some great health benefits! Health Benefits Click on the link if you want to see for yourself! It makes me feel a little better about eating them all the time ; )


Update on Lillian
She is doing fantastic! She seems like she is in a little pain at night. She whimpers in her sleep, but when she wakes up she is her silly little playful self! She is a trooper. ; )


Well, we are heading back to E-ville tonight and staying the weekend over there. Last weekend we stayed in Marion so we need a little get-a-way. My mom came down Saturday night and stayed until Sunday afternoon.  It was nice spending time with her.  We took her out to eat a lot, rented and watched some movies and did a little shopping! I’m excited for this weekend though, hopefully we will get to spend some time with our friends! ; ) I hope everyone has a great super bowl! I’m hoping that my appetite doesn’t get the best of me! Wish me luck!! and go Patriots!! I really don’t like football, but you have to root for someone during Super Bow. I chose the Patriots because that is who Ellen is rooting for. hehe ; )





5 comments:

Nae said...

I Love the Hideout...and if you go on the weekend they usually have someone at the piano!

Lana

Cindy said...

I think he plays every night! I know he plays on Wednesdays because they have all you can eat crab legs that night! ; ) Let us know if you ever want to go!!

Rae said...

I think Kroger carries those same chips. Might be worth checking out...may be cheaper. Glad Lilly is better! Hope to see you this weekend! Love ya!

Cindy said...

I’ll have to look there also. I know they carry the granola I buy, so I buy it their because it is cheaper. You should try them if they do!

sisterlinda said...

I have never been a fan of sweet potatoes. I have tried yams, baked sweet potatoes and even the sweet potato fries. Sweet potato chips? Well, I AM a fan of chips and just might give them a try!

Glad Lilly is doing better.

GO PATRIOTS!