Pages

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Baby Classes



Last Sunday, July 22,  Jake and I attended our first birthing class.  Let’s just say it’s an experience I will never forget and since it’s a 12 week course I get to experience it 11 more times!


First of all, I’ll fill you in on the birthing method we chose and why. I have always known that I would want to TRY to accomplish a natural childbirth, so I knew I would want to go through a natural childbirth class.  After a couple of friends of ours took a class for The Bradley Method, I looked into it and knew that this was the way that I wanted my birthing experience to go.  The Bradley Method teaches natural childbirth and views birth as a natural process.  The Bradley is a system of natural labor techniques in which a woman and her coach play an active part. This method encourages mothers to trust their bodies using natural breathing, relaxation, nutrition, exercise and education.  


That is exactly what I was looking for so here is to hoping it works! I know complications occur so I’m trying not to get my hopes up too high. What I do know for sure is that Jake will be an excellent coach in the delivery room. ; ) I couldn’t ask for a better man to be there holding my hand on that special day. 


So back to our first class. Classes are held at our teachers home, a very nice woman named Sarah.  There are 5 other couples in class and classes are held every Sunday from 2-4:30. We all sit tailor sitting so we are told to bring 2 pillows and a blanket to sit on.  We started off class by introducing ourselves and the teacher told us about herself and her previous birth stories, handed out our workbooks (yes we have workbooks), etc. We talked about the Bradley Method and then started our topic for the week, exercise. Jake did pretty good, I’m sure he was bored out of his mind, but if anyone is used to sitting through lectures it should be him. lol We watched some old school birthing videos of couples who used The Bradley Method, even way back in the day.  Then it was snack time, I’m sure this was Jakes favorite part.  ; )


At the end of each class we have 1o minutes of “relaxation time”.  This is a time to prepare the coach for relaxing his woman while she is in labor.  Jake and I were doing so good and being mature adults until this point.  I had to lie on my side and Jake had to massage the tense spots out of my body parts and repeat some phrases the teacher was chanting.  Our teacher must have had a cat or dog in her basement because all of a sudden Jake starts sneezing extremely loud and couldn’t stop.  Everyone is being quiet at this point, relaxing music is playing in the background and Jake is sneezing and sniffling out of control.  So being the mature person I am I start cracking up laughing, you know when you get the giggles somewhere where you know you have to be quiet, but just can’t help yourself.  So at this point Jake walks to the restroom and I can hear him blow his nose, the loudest blow ever, and of course this makes me burst out with one gigantic laugh.  At this point I’m so embarrassed with myself, but I just couldn’t stop.  Jake comes out sits back down and sees my face beet red and tears rolling down my eyes from trying to control my giggles…So of course, he gets the giggles now.  So here we are, both of us trying our hardest to control our laughter, I had to hide my face in the pillow.  I’m sure the other couples where rolling their eyes at the two immature parents-to-be.  That is so Jake and I though.  Of COURSE this would happen to us.  Luckily we didn't get kicked out of class, not yet anyway.  


So next week we are going to make sure Jake takes some Benadryl and the giggles do not come out again. I think Jake (Mr. Know it all) is a little skeptical about taking all of these classes. The first two are about exercise and nutrition, so he thinks we already know all about that. I’m sure once we get to the pregnancy stuff it will get more interesting for him.  He does it because he loves me and I’m thankful for that. I really liked our teacher and over all I think these classes will be a positive thing for us.  I’m really excited to learn more and I’m SOOOOO excited to meet our lil peanut no matter how it happens. ; )


A lovely picture, my lovely husband drew in our Workbook




2 comments:

stitchsmith said...

I feel like we shouldn't be shocked that Mike and Jake drew essentially the same picture, except with a cat instead of a dog! Also, Mike wrote "The Happy Family" because he didn't realize it was supposed to be our name... or he did know and just didn't care. Could go either way!

Cindy said...

LOL That is too funny. Boys will be boys. I still think Mike needs to give Jake a little pep talk about being a little bit more serious in class. :)